[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <gary at kryptic dash x dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Workgroup issues
 Date:  Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:31:57 +0100
> Next I have a cat5 running to a wireless d-link di-524
> router. I have one laptop connected wirelessly. Out of the
> box, it was able to browse the net since m0n0's interface is
> 192.168.1.1 and the d-link is 192.168.0.1.  The problem is
> that when i go to see my workgroup, the first 3 computers
> only see  each other. The wireless laptop only sees itself.
> So i am guessing it is a routing issue.

By the sound of things, you've got a double-NAT thing going on there...

Your best bet might be to get in touch with D-link and see if there's a
non-nat version of the firmware for that unit (d-link customer support is
pretty good, at least here in the UK). If at all possible you want to
disable all routing functionality in the device and just use it as a pure
wireless access point.

> I was wondering if this setup would be correct.
> 192.168.1.1 - m0n0 interface
> 192.168.1.2 - dlink interface
> 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.8
> subnet: 255.255.255.0 for both routers
> The goal is to have computer 1,2,3 and 4 all on the
> 192.168.1.x block and have them see each other on the network

Unless you can disable all routing in the d-link box, you're still going to
have problems.

Given the low cost of access points these days, you might be better off (and
almost break even) by flogging the wireless router on ebay and grabbing
yourself a standard access point.

Regards,

Chris