[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Clay James <claynjessijames at comcast dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SMC 9432tx not supported??
 Date:  Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:02:55 -0400
On 4/25/05, Clay James <claynjessijames at comcast dot net> wrote:
>         Hi.  My question, is the SMC 9432tx not supported in m0n0wall??
> I have searched through the faq as well as the mail listings and I have
> not found anything about this card.  I did find it in the list of
> freebsd supported hardware.  Is there a driver that I need to get to use
> the SMC cards that I have??

Those are 'device tx', which is in the m0n0wall kernel, so they should work.

>         Another thing that we learned, when disconnecting a cable modem
> from one computer and reconnecting it to another it is best to turn it
> off (unplug it) then connect it to the next pc.  Maybe it is only the
> cable modem that we are using but it was one of those head scratchers
> that we had with monowall at 11:30pm when the modem wouldn't connect to
> monowall.

That seems to be common with some modems and/or some ISP's.

> We also have to power the modem (and sometimes monowall) once
> a week because the modem gets a new ip address and usually monowall
> won't reconnect.  Any thoughts on that??

Cable modems shouldn't get IP's.  They should be nothing more than a
bridge from your m0n0wall WAN to your ISP.  Your WAN should have a
public IP most likely from your ISP's DHCP, which should renew and
function entirely independently of the modem.  Maybe Comcast does
something weird that the cable ISP's around here don't do, in which
case maybe somebody else can answer.  If you post back with more
details, I might be able to help further.

-Chris