[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Problem accessing NATed services by private IP on Wireless Network
 Date:  Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:45:22 -0400
Zach Lowry wrote:
> No one has any ideas here? Surely someone else has seen this
> Zach Lowry wrote:
>> I hope this isn't addressed in the FAQ or Docs, but I checked and
>> couldn't find it. I have my internal (LAN) network on
>> the WI network on I have rules set so that the
>> can access each other across the lans. However, The machines on the
>> wireless network cannot access the internal IPs of machines that
>> a part of a 1-to-1 NAT. For instance, my laptop is, and
>> wants to access, which happens to be my externally
>> accessable mail server. I have the DNS forwarder set to point
>> mail.zachlowry.net to, and a 1-to-1 nat rule for
>> and an external IP address. I can't make any sort of
>> connection when doing this. Any ideas?

Why use 1-to-1 NAT? Is the External IP for the mail server the same as
the WAN IP? Have you considered using Server NAT and the open the
ports you need (SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc...)? From the WI network are you
trying to access mail.zachlowry.net or I assume that the
laptop is using the m0n0wall as its DNS. Have you considered putting a
entry in your host file on the laptop that points mail.zachlowry.net
to (this would need to be removed when away from

James W. McKeand