[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Problem accessing NATed services by private IP on Wireless Network
 Date:  Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:15:25 -0400
Zach Lowry wrote:
> James W. McKeand wrote:
>> Why use 1-to-1 NAT? Is the External IP for the mail server the same
>> as the WAN IP?
>
> No. I just realized this is why I don't use Server NAT. Since I have
> multiple IPs, I just assign machines to each IP.

Server NAT will add additional External IPs to the WAN interface,
which you can choose when creating inbound NAT rules (interface IP or
Server NAT IP). You may also need to use proxy ARP.

Direct quote from Server NAT tab:

Note:
The external IP addresses defined on this page may be used in inbound
NAT mappings. Depending on the way your WAN connection is setup, you
may also need proxy ARP.

Yes, I saw that you said you have DNS forwarder configured to point
mail.zachlowry.net to 192.168.0.22. My question should of read - are
you sure that the laptop is able to resolve mail.zachlowry.net to
192.168.0.22? What happens when you ping mail.zachlowry.net from the
laptop? Do you need to refresh the DNS cache (assuming Windows on
laptop...)?

James W. McKeand