[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <maximkh at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problems with PPTP -> Can't auth from outside
 Date:  Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:05:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi guys, this may be a really easy one though I can't seem to find the
answer. I'm trying to setup a PPTP vpn on my home network so I could
get in there from work. All the settings on m0n0wall have been
configured and the authentication is being done through RADIUS which is
installed on my internal Windows 2003 Server.

When I finished setting everything up (rules, firewall on the server,
etc.) I tested it by connection from inside. So I took one of my Win XP
workstations, configured the PPTP client to connect to the LAN side of
m0n0wall, and then connected. This was just a test to make sure that
authentication worked and all of that. It did... I connected without
problems, my LAN IP became the first one in the range I configured, and
I could access the network resources according to the rules I set up.

Now I'm sitting here at work and trying to connect. It goes through
everything fine, but when the client gets to the verification of
username and password it sits there for a while and then just timesout.
Since I tried this on Monday as well (with the same results) I figured
that it might have been the m0n0wall or my software firewall blocking
something, but when I checked the logs that evening I couldn't find
anything to indicate this.

What would be your advice in this situation knowing that everything
seems to work from the LAN side but not the WAN? Do I have to configure
NAT to allow the outside to access the RADIUS server (which doesn't
make sense to me, but thought I'd ask anyway)? Would appreciate any
help on this issue.

- Max