[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris <neuralparasite at gmail dot com>
 To:  Kenneth Keiter <ken at keiterhome dot com>
 Cc:  MonoWall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Sub-filesystem?
 Date:  Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:09:01 -0700
Kenneth Keiter wrote:

> Hey All,
> I just had a good idea for a feature that would be relatively easy to
> impliment (based on my understanding of how m0n0wall works). I think
> that there needs to be an easier way to modify the core operating
> system of m0n0wall, for people who know PHP, but don't know FreeBSD
> and, like me, don't have time to learn. My concept is relatively
> simple: a sub-file-system. Based on my understanding, none of the core
> operating files can be modified without recompiling the kernel, and
> cannot be modified in runtime because on reboot they are lost. The
> system can obviously write files to the hard-disk somehow, because it
> can write the config.xml. My idea is that we could create a simple
> interface that allows files to be uploaded and saved onto the
> harddisk. The next trick would be to include a new section in the
> config.xml that allows files on the harddisk to override files in the
> kernel at boot time. For example: If I wanted to change index.php (a
> core file), I would use an interface to upload the file, which would
> save it to the disk. A line would be written to the config.xml file
> which would act as a pointer to the new file, and tells the file it's
> replacing. The computer can reboot, and when it does, it looks at the
> config.xml file. It notices that index.php has been replaced. It loads
> the file into that ram-disk that holds the core, replacing the old
> index.php, but just for this session! When it restarts, it looses the
> file, but it still has a copy on the hard disk! It does the same thing
> again at the next restart, and the new file that I uploaded is back. I
> think that'd be possible, and a better way to develop, when you need
> only PHP based features. That'd make it a heck of a lot faster, I
> think. I'd love to hear what you guys think though... Thanks!
>
> Cheers!

im pretty shure the whole reason that you can't change the filesystem
from within m0n0wall is for security reasons.. if a hacker breaks in and
install's some crap.. then all you have to do is cycle the power and its
gone and restore your config.xml... unless the hacker makes his own
image.. well then your just screwed..