[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Problem accessing NATed services by private IP on Wireless Network
 Date:  Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:31:10 -0400
Zach Lowry wrote:
> James W. McKeand wrote:
>> Why use 1-to-1 NAT? Is the External IP for the mail server the same
>> as the WAN IP? Have you considered using Server NAT and the open
the
>> ports you need (SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc...)?
>
> Server NAT makes no change to my problem. Thanks though.

Sorry, it didn't help...

Could this be an iteration of the classic lannat issue?
(http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-lannat.html) But, because you are
coming from the OPT/WI network it is somehow complicating things.

You shouldn't need any static routes. You have the DNS forwarder
substituting the LAN IP for the Public IP for mail.zachlowry.com. The
m0n0wall is the primary DNS for the WI network. You have the rules to
allow "LAN to any" (default) and "WI to any" (would of added this) it
should just work.

The only thing I can think of is a stale DNS cache on the laptop (or
any machine) in the WI network. The laptop *thinks* it knows the IP of
mail.zachlowry.com (public IP) and does not query the m0n0wall for the
DNS. If it is a Windows machine, running "ipconfig /flushdns" from a
command prompt would purge the DNS Resolver cache.

Hope this helps and that I'm not beating a dead horse...

James W. McKeand