[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil Schneider" <pacneil at linuxgeek dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ipsec tunnel network neighborhood
 Date:  Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
Jason Brunk said:
> I am working to get mono wall setup for a client of mine and his
> branch
> office.  So far the tunnel is working great, I have a wins server
> running on
> one side and every machine on both networks is registering with it.
> Name
> resolution works and everything pings fine.  But network neighborhood
> browsing only shows machines on that side of the network.  Anyone know
> why
> the workstations wouldn't be showing the rest of the machines
> registered in
> wins?

Windows won't do cross-subnet browsing without a master browser on the
subnet that knows about all the hosts on the other side. This probably
should be in the FAQs if it isn't already. Network neighborhood uses
broadcast packets and broadcast packets don't cross network
boundaries.

--
Neil Schneider                              pacneil_at_linuxgeek_dot_net
                                           http://www.paccomp.com