[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wynand_K=FCnkel?= <wynandk at eliance dot co dot za>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] ipsec tunnel network neighborhood
 Date:  Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:08:05 +0200
WINS has everything to do with network browsing, does not directly talk to the browse masters (they
are there for a different reason) and yes, Network Neighbourhood used to be very flaky (sometimes
still is).  There is a difference in functionality and responsibilities between browse masters and
WINS servers.  A previous contributor wrote that broadcasts do not cross boundaries which is 100%
true.  Now bearing in mind that m0n0 (the excellent product that ist is) is a good router, the
logical conclusion would be that braodcasts would not pass through m0n0.

In my experience master browsers only work if there is one subnet with one flat IP address
structure.  The moment you have subnets and routers you HAVE to get at least a WINS server.  Bear in
mind that WINS also used to be the primary way that Windows boxes communicated but has been
deprecated in favour of DNS.

Having said all that, the m0n0 server at my house serves the office DNS and WINS servers to my
locals PC's and servers via DHCP and once my Ipsec vpn tunnel is established, I am for all intents
and purposes "at my office".  I can communicate with my servers and PC's via NetBIOS name or FQDN.
However having been in the IP industry for a while, I have to say that I have an inherent distrust
in network neighbourhood and do not use it.  There is however no setting that I know of that you
have to set in m0n0 itself.

Can you provide a diagram of the setup.  Maybe I can be of assistance...

Regards

Wynand