[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'m0m0'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] comparation between netgear FVS338 vs. monowall
 Date:  Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:45:35 -0400
Jorge Mera wrote:
> Glaciar
> Greetings,
>
> Desire to make a comparison between netgear FVS338
> (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVS338.php) and m0n0wall,
> characteristic, advantages and cost.
>
> Monowall + soekris net 4501 + CF64Mb = U$ 201

From NetGear's online store: FVS338 = $199.99 + S&H. So, similar
price/cost.

M0n0wall does not have Dial Back-up capability. You can hang a
external analog modem off the DB9 connector on the NetGear.

Soekris 4501 will have WAN, LAN, OPT1 interfaces. NetGear will have
WAN interface and built in 8 port 10/100 switch for LAN interface. The
NetGear will not have a separate interface for DMZ (you can probably
set a "DMZ Host" to open all ports to a LAN client...)

NetGear will come with a single copy of a branded SafeNet SoftRemoteLT
IPSEC Client (NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Client). You can use this client
with m0n0wall, but it does not come with it...

M0n0wall is not limited to number of VPN clients - NetGear limited to
50 VPN clients.

I don't think m0n0wall will do RIP v1 or RIP v2 - NetGear says does.
(someone correct me if wrong...)

On the performance side, I can compare the clock speed of processors.
The NetGear is a 266Mhz processor. The Net4501 is a 133Mhz processor.
The big question is what kind of processor is the NetGear? The Net4501
is a 486 class processor. The Netgear claims a throughput of up to 90
Mbps WAN-to-LAN and 100 Mpbs 3DES throughput. I don't know how this
compares to Net4501/m0n0wall combo.

While the m0n0wall list is good, you can call NetGear if you have a
problem. (i.e. "REAL" support). The NetGear also has a nice 230 page
manual. NetGear is a member of ICSA's Firewall Product Developer's
Consortium (if that means anything to anyone...)

Bottom line: You may get more bang for you buck from the NetGear
(support is largest factor in my book), but you will not have the
flexibility of the m0n0wall.

James W. McKeand