[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'m0m0'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] comparation between netgear FVS338 vs. monowall
 Date:  Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:35:58 -0400
Don Munyak wrote:
> m0n0wall has the capability to evolve. you can start out with
> inexpensive hardware of most any configuration and move up if
needed.

Like I said you lose flexibility if you go with a consumer product
like the NetGear. Not to mention the "eggs in one basket" issue with
the built in 8 port switch.

> as for 50 vpn clients. What kind of performance would you get with
50
> vpn clients simultaneously connected with a 266mhz processor.

Depends on the OS and processor type (x86 vs. RISC) and the presence
of any type of encryption co-processor (Hifn or such). Not to mention
available bandwidth. Maybe 50 users using dialup. SonicWall used say
that their VPN client was *NOT* intended for broadband connected
users. It was to be used with dialup. SonicWall suggested having a
Tele model or such for broadband users.

> I have used several soho routers with GUI front-ends. m0n0wall is
the
> best...IMHO

I agree m0n0wall is heads and shoulders above anything offered from
NetGear. For a tech-savvy admin the best choice would be m0n0wall.
But, if the user is not so tech-savvy (not comfortable with building a
PC or "burning" an image), they have to consider other factors. You
may have to trade flexibility for support. The "free" support from
NetGear is email with a 24 hr response. Even the $45 per incident
premium support is a good deal. Throw in a 3 year warranty and a IPSEC
client ($50 value) and you have a pretty good deal for $200.

James W. McKeand