[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] record flashcard image
 Date:  Sun, 1 May 2005 14:15:40 -0400
On 5/1/05, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:
> Chris Buechler wrote:
> > On 4/30/05, sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com> wrote:
> >> IDE to Flash connector
> >>
> >> dont use USB connectors - they usually mess things up.
> >>

> > USB ones are the only ones I've ever used and they work fine for me.
> > I can even boot up my live installer CD on a laptop with a USB CF
> > writer and write cards.  Always has worked fine.
> >
> > I have a "LinkXcel" brand connector, item number CR-216A (4 in 1),
> > that works fine (can't find any place that sells it, it was super
> > cheap, I don't remember where I got it).
> >
> > Also have a SanDisk ImageMate 12 in 1 that works great.
> >
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sandisk+imagemate&btnG=Search+Froo
> gle
>
> Someone a while back had boot problems with a multi-slot reader
> (x-in-one that does CF, SD/MMC, etc.) Could not find config.xml, IIRC.
> If you plan to boot from a USB reader use caution.

Booting from is a different story, yeah I wouldn't try to boot from
one.  I think the original poster was looking for a way to write
m0n0wall on a CF card, in which case the USB ones work fine.  If I
misunderstood, then yes, you may run into problems booting off USB,
and almost certainly with the 4 in 1 type readers because FreeBSD
detects those as 4 hard drives whether or not the slots are filled.

-Chris