[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Cc:  "'m0m0'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] comparation between netgear FVS338 vs. monowall
 Date:  Sun, 1 May 2005 12:14:13 -1000

> On the performance side, I can compare the clock speed of processors.
> The NetGear is a 266Mhz processor. The Net4501 is a 133Mhz processor.
> The big question is what kind of processor is the NetGear?

Its an Intel IXP422 (xscale) part.  Quite a *bit* more CPU than a
133MHz Elan.
Moreover the Xscale has a crypto accelerator in its "NPE" (network
processor engine),
which is how they get these high 3DES throughputs.

> The Net4501
> is a 486 class processor. The Netgear claims a throughput of up to 90
> Mbps WAN-to-LAN and 100 Mpbs 3DES throughput. I don't know how this
> compares to Net4501/m0n0wall combo.

The ixp422 will do significantly more.

With a whole bunch of work, one could port m0n0wall to NetBSD, and run
NetBSD
on this part.   The biggest issue will be how to create a flash
partition that can store
the config.xml file.    Fairly straight-forward.

> While the m0n0wall list is good, you can call NetGear if you have a
> problem. (i.e. "REAL" support). The NetGear also has a nice 230 page
> manual. NetGear is a member of ICSA's Firewall Product Developer's
> Consortium (if that means anything to anyone...)

If you like hanging on the phone while they tell you to reboot the
router 6-7 times, sure.

> Bottom line: You may get more bang for you buck from the NetGear
> (support is largest factor in my book), but you will not have the
> flexibility of the m0n0wall.

feh.