[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Cc:  "'Chris Buechler'" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] record flashcard image
 Date:  Sun, 1 May 2005 12:42:41 -1000
On May 1, 2005, at 6:10 AM, James W. McKeand wrote:

> Someone a while back had boot problems with a multi-slot reader
> (x-in-one that does CF, SD/MMC, etc.) Could not find config.xml, IIRC.
> If you plan to boot from a USB reader use caution.

I've used 5 different USB readers on FreeBSD (and linux).  One of the
things I've
noticed is that, with the ones with the LED that indicates 'access', a
'dd' process will
finish (exit) a couple seconds before the LED stops flashing.

So, if you're quick, and yank the CF card after dd (or possibly
physdiskwrite) exits,
its possible that the last several sectors won't be correctly written,
and the filesystem
were config.xml lives will be unreadable.

This is especially annoying when you're pushing out 100 cards in an
afternoon.

Anyway, I'll bet if you wait 5 seconds after the 'dd' exits, the
problem goes away.

jim