[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  DevAuto <devauto at gmail dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Status report and outlook
 Date:  Mon, 2 May 2005 14:24:25 -0400
Manuel,

First and foremost, thank you for all of your time and hard work in
developing m0n0wall. Without your vision, time and efforts, m0n0wall
would not exist for us to complain about :) I think m0n0wall rivals
most enterprise class firewalls today, and costs a whole lot less.

I believe we can all understand and appreciate the amount of time
spent that keeps you away from m0n0wall development these days. My own
opinion is this, m0n0wall is your baby, and when you feel like you
have time to work on it, then it is your decision and yours alone to
do so.

I personally don't really care which OS the m0n0wall is based on, but
from my experiences to date (since the .24 or .27 release IIRC) the
m0n0wall has been a superior firewall all around until the move to the
FreeBSD 5.3 code base. Since the code base move there have been more
complaints about performance issues, non-working features and hardware
problems than I can remember. That said, this will more than likely
put on hold any hope I was holding out for timed rules :)

Seriously though, I am kind of sorry that we are going to lose the
Atheros support, as I was developing a new architecture to include it
and do away with yet another box taking up space (admittedly very
little space, but space nonetheless). In the end however, I have not
yet implemented it so I am not really losing anything at this point
(In all actuality, I am still running off of 1.2 beta 3 on my networks
anyway).

It will be interesting to see what opinions you get when you start the
OS discussion for the future of m0n0wall. People seem to have lots of
opinions on the subject of what is better in terms of OSs. It should
be a fun discussion :)

Again, thank you for all you have provided to the community, I for one
really appreciate it.

-- DevAuto

Failure is not an option ... it comes bundled with your Micro$oft solution!