[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason Ehrlich" <jehrlich at stanford dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Mon, 02 May 2005 16:47:29 -0700
Hi there,

I was wondering, for the purposes of a firewall (not a wireless router),
do people have any opinion as to the security/flexibility/"betterness"
of the m0n0wall versus a Linksys router running the Sveasoft firmware?
Both support useful features including firewall (shorewall for the
Linksys) and DNSmasq service. Those are pretty much what I need out of a
firewall. I already have a wireless access point for my home network,
but the Linksys is pretty attractive because it is only $40 right now
(and the upgraded firmware, another $20), whereas it looks like it'll
cost about $150+ to build a m0n0wall box from the WRAP board.

Any opinions would be welcome. I know most people will support the m0n0
box, but I am curious if anyone has done a comparison. My use is just to
firewall my home network.

thanks,
jason