[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Nasuta <tcslv at cox dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Mon, 2 May 2005 19:15:08 -0700
> ...Any opinions would be welcome. I know most people will support the m0n0
> box, but I am curious if anyone has done a comparison. My use is just to
> firewall my home network.

I can't tell you about the security differences and which one is
better, but I do know that there have been BIG differences in
throughput and handling of connections ability since I have went to
M0n0/PfSense type solutions for my home network.

I play alot of online gaming and I went through a phase late last year
of playing Madden online. I always seemed to get "sync errors" and
resulting losses (even when winning) using consumer type boxes for my
router. I went through three brands of routers ranging from $50-90
(linksys,netgear,usrobotics) and frustratingly having connections
break while playing games online about 25% of my games. Very elusive
and it took me a stroke of luck when I found pfsense and loaded it on
my old 486 box. I used to think it was my ISP until the problems went
away to about just about non-exsistent when I decided to go straight
to internet and then with my new pc router (remaining ones were
cheaters).

This was a common problem and complaint in the Madden lobby and forums
and I highly suspect the majority of them are because of the consumer
boxes so prevalent for home users. They are good for MOST users and
are hell of a bargain as such, but I have come to know their
limitations. Alot of digging indicated that some of those boxes can
only handle 200 simultaneous connections while some modern games are
creating upwards of 1000+. My ping times in the lobby dropped
drastically as well.

I am now thinking I will never go back to "Best Buy" routers, but I
find it hard to justify the cost. I want to decommission my old
electricity robbing PC for a Soekris/WRAP but as you mentioned the
price will be close to $200. Granted it will be enterprise class and a
bargain at that label, but expensive for home use compared to what is
out there and for only TWO PC's behind it.

I have seen some companies (such as Dlink) addressing the limitations
of consumer routers with newer "Gaming" type ones. A little more
expensive than the normal line but still cheaper than a WRAP so I am
currently looking into one of those. It may be a good compromise
(although will miss 'playing' with m0n0/pfsense and the sense of pride
of having a high end router).

Let me know what route you go, maybe we can work a bulk deal of WRAP
boards if we get enough people on here to want to purchase one?

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:tcslv at cox dot net