[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  "Jason Ehrlich" <jehrlich at stanford dot edu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Mon, 2 May 2005 16:23:29 -1000
On May 2, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Jason Ehrlich wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering, for the purposes of a firewall (not a wireless
> router),
> do people have any opinion as to the security/flexibility/"betterness"
> of the m0n0wall versus a Linksys router running the Sveasoft firmware?
> Both support useful features including firewall (shorewall for the
> Linksys) and DNSmasq service. Those are pretty much what I need out of
> firewall. I already have a wireless access point for my home network,
> but the Linksys is pretty attractive because it is only $40 right now
> (and the upgraded firmware, another $20), whereas it looks like it'll
> cost about $150+ to build a m0n0wall box from the WRAP board.

I'm real curious how you get the cost down to $150, unless you already
have some of the h/w.

A WRAP 2.C board will set you back circa $140, and you still have to buy
the A/C adapter ($7), CF card (hard to spend less than $10) and case
($13).

If you're happy running a GPL-rip-off linux (SVEAsoft violates the GPL,
so... no source code for you!),
then spend the $60 and forget it.   Or save the $20 and run one of the
many *free* (beer and speech)
trees for the WRT54xx.   (Try OpenWRT, for example.)

If you want to run BSD, you won't be doing it on the linksys, at least,
not with the wireless part working.

Jim