[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Future OS Base for M0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 3 May 2005 11:09:11 -0400
On 5/3/05, Scott Nasuta <tcslv at cox dot net> wrote:
> I have been thinking about this and I think it would be a little sad
> to have to leave m0n0's roots of FreeBSD for another OS because of
> degradation in performance and direction of the FreeBSD 5x/6x+ series.
> Hopefully the performance issues will be resolved with 5.4 that is
> about to come out and having to move m0n0 to another OS will become
> moot. PfSense seems to be peppy enough in my usage (p2p, gaming) using
> 5.4 RC's.

5.3 and 5.4 and pfSense are actually slower than m0n0wall and 5.3 by
about 900 Kbps on a 4501 (11.4 vs. 10.5 Mbps), and similar percentages
on WRAP and 4801.  5.4 brought no improvement over 5.3.  PF does
handle more sessions a lot better than ipf though, it seems, though
it's extremely unsteady.

From a post to the Soekris list with my results on how slow 5.3 is,
phk suggested I email rwatson.  I'm drafting an email to him right
now.  We're hoping to find a resolution, but if it doesn't exist, then
it is time to reconsider.  Remember m0n0wall is focused towards
embedded hardware.  On a fast system, the throughput drop isn't going
to be nearly as noticeable since you almost always have hardware to
spare anyway.  That isn't the case when you're talking about 100-200
MHz procs.

> BUT if we have to move and we want to stick with IPFilter, what about
> Solaris10/OpenSolaris.

ew.  That makes me cringe though I'm not exactly sure why.  It's out
though - m0n0wall is BSD licensed and I'm pretty sure we want to keep
it that way.

> Or another possible good direction would be DragonFlyBSD?

If the 5.x performance issues can't be resolved, DFly might be the way
to go.  Not to mention I'm pretty connected in that community (I
sysadmin for the installer team, so know several committers)

> and Scott being an active supporter.

not to mention committer.  :)  http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/team.cgi

NetBSD might be a better way to go, since m0n0wall could then be
ported to about any platform.  NetBSD also seems to be among the best
in network performance right now.

We'll see what the FreeBSD team says about improving performance, and
if things don't get better, we'll test the other BSD's and see.

-Chris