[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  DevAuto <devauto at gmail dot com>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>, Jason Ehrlich <jehrlich at stanford dot edu>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Tue, 3 May 2005 11:09:42 -0400
I am currently running m0n0wall on 2 net4501 boxes and 1 pentium 90mhz
box. The only requirement for the pentium 90 is the ability to bypass
keyboard/video errors (well, that is my only requirement). Such boxes
can be had with a CD, HD, and 64+mb ram for under US $50 these dayse,
if you can find them. Otherwise, searching ebay reveals a multitude of
small footprint boxes for under US$100 and quite a few for under
US$50. If you don't want to use an actual HD, then a IDE -> CF adapter
is running between $10 and $20 on ebay, with 16mb CF cards for $2-3.
All told, if your bidding goes well, you could have a complete pentium
class box with CF instead of HD for under $65. If you remove the HD in
favor of CF, and install a heat pipe for CPU cooling, you could
probably even remove all the case fans in the system so that it is
mostly silent (still have the power supply fan to deal with).

DevAuto

On 5/3/05, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com> wrote:
> >>whereas it looks like it'll cost about $150+ to build a m0n0wall box
> from the WRAP board.
>
> Maybe for a WARP board...but do you really need this?
>
> There is a poster here name Ed. Who has purchase the Soekris board off
> ebay for around $25-30. Search ebay for soekris 4501 or 4521. I don't
> know if the power supply or compact flash was included though.
>
> Or you could use a low-end Pentium. Old hardware which could be bought
> for less than $50 and doesn't need a Keyboard, Video, or mouse. Just
> an extra NIC.
>
> I really don't think you have to spend $150 for a m0n0wall solution...IMHO.

Failure is not an option ... it comes bundled with your Micro$oft solution!