[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  DevAuto <devauto at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>, Jason Ehrlich <jehrlich at stanford dot edu>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Tue, 3 May 2005 15:09:49 -0400
I have m0n0wall running at home on a HP Brio Celeron 500. This is one
of the small tower pc's that came out a few years ago as a throw
workstation.

I removed the HD and put an IDE ->CF card in the IDE slot.
http://monoprice.com, original purchase from ebay for $0.99. The 128mb
CF from Crucial.com for $17.00, plus two DLink NIC's

The box practically runs silent, except for the power supply
fan...which is mostly pretty quiet.

It's been up now 60 days running 1.2b7 with no problems.

As for security, I'm no propellar head like the rest of you, however,
I have been testing an intrusion prevention appliance from Tipping
Point (UnityOne-50) behind the firewall. My ISP is Comcast, which is
loaded with all kinds of garbage. During a 24 hour test, nothing came
through the firewall.

disclaimer: Aside from a lot of after hours research on the net, I am
NOT running any public services like http, smtp, pop3, ftp..etc. Just
basic web surfing.

- Don