[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Tue, 3 May 2005 16:37:21 -0400
On 5/2/05, Jason Ehrlich <jehrlich at stanford dot edu> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering, for the purposes of a firewall (not a wireless router),
> do people have any opinion as to the security/flexibility/"betterness"
> of the m0n0wall versus a Linksys router running the Sveasoft firmware?
> Both support useful features including firewall (shorewall for the
> Linksys) and DNSmasq service. Those are pretty much what I need out of a
> firewall. I already have a wireless access point for my home network,
> but the Linksys is pretty attractive because it is only $40 right now
> (and the upgraded firmware, another $20), whereas it looks like it'll
> cost about $150+ to build a m0n0wall box from the WRAP board.

Yeah, if you want something small, quiet, and new you're going to be
spending a couple hundred bucks by the time you're done.  Ebay might
yield some good deals.  Old PC's that you can frequently get for free
(or at least I seem to be able to get almost as many as I want) would
work just as well, but those also have moving parts, so noise and
increased chance of failure.   Not to mention roughly 10 times the
typical power consumption (3 W vs ~30 W from a stripped down PC in my
testing).

> Any opinions would be welcome. I know most people will support the m0n0
> box, but I am curious if anyone has done a comparison. My use is just to
> firewall my home network.

I haven't done an actual comparison, but I can't say I've ever heard
anything more positive about the stability of those packages than
"they're getting better", and are much less stable than the already
not so stable Linksys firmware.  That's enough to chase me off.  :)
I've never used them though, that's just what I've heard from less
than a handful of different users.

As far as a feature comparison, Sveasoft seems to hide their feature
list pretty well (at least I couldn't find it within a few clicks) so
I won't go there.

The Linksys doesn't have to be the cheaper solution, but it would most
likely end up being cheaper if you're set on a new embedded device.

-Chris