[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jolly john <joao dot pio at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  MonoWall 1.1 high ping inside lan
 Date:  Mon, 2 May 2005 16:32:20 +0100
My Monowall is installed in factory defaults, except correct ip to the
interfaces.
Running from cd on an old machine, I'm not totaly sure, but I believe it to
be around a pentium 200Mhz with 64Mb Ram.
Its got only a L.A.N. and a W.A.N. interface, nothing else as far as network
interfaces go.
The entire thing wouldn't rise up to a problem if it wasn't the fact that
the webGUI is a litle slugish and the ping is usually around 5 or 7,
sometimes rising to 15 and 20ms. This is inside the LAN, so I only expect it
to be <1ms, because there is litle to no traffic in the LAN.
Now! The weirdest thing is that traffic LAN>WAN is perfect, speed test from
ISP and everything and it's better than perfect...
I can't seem to find out why the ping inside the LAN is that high...
The LAN to WAN is perfect, the WAN to LAN is perfect, but the ping keeps up
that high with no aparent reason...
I don't know if this is due to some strange feature of monowall that i
haven't found, or what...
Another thing. When I reeboot the machine with monowall it has a good ping
for about 5 minutes (good being under 1ms), then goes back to the high
ping...
Haven't ping'ed the machine from WAN side tho....
What could this be? Not enough RAM? Processor too slow? Needs to be instaled
into HD?