[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rui Correia <rds underscore correia at mailshack dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: FW Rules/WAN address issue on 1.2b7
 Date:  Thu, 5 May 2005 12:35:55 +0000 (UTC)
Don Munyak <don.munyak <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am running 1.2b7 on a pc with flash card. I have the same situation,
> in terms of the blank box when WAN Address is selected from the combo
> drop-down box. In my case, the WAN port is DHCP because I have a
> broadband home account.(comcast)
>
> Is it possible that the location that keeps the IP is a static IP,
> and  the location you appear to have problems with is DHCP ?
>
> > TCP - * - * - WAN address - 443(HTTPS)
>
> As for this rule, I see no problem except that, if you reboot the
> m0n0wall FW...AND it happens to be DHCP, then when you try to access
> the router remotely, it may have a completely different WAN IP
> address.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> - Don

Hi Don,

First let me thank  you for your reply.
The blank box problem happens on a static WAN IP address link.
Curiously, or not, I have a very similar setup on a Soekris
net4521 running on a DHCP WAN IP address and this later one
keeps the "WAN address" selected.
Go figure...
And I can access the box remotly using that FW rule.
The FW rule is setup on the DHCP site and it seams to be working.
I also setup a Dyndns account to go along.
That means I always go for the name instead of the IP address.
And the Dyndns.org resolves the Name-IP before I get connected.
So, it seams to be working ok but since it hasn't changed IP
in a long while I can't swear.
When it changes IP address again I'll see if it is really
working ;-).
I'm bothered with the blank "WAN address" because I can't
access the m0n0 working on that site remotly and not only because
it appears blank.
Anybody else experiencing similar problems?
Manuel, would you please test it yourself?
TIA

Cheers