[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Charlie Barker" <CharlieBarker at RedlineSoftware dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Future OS Base for M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 5 May 2005 16:07:06 +0100
Chris Buelecher Wrote:
From a post to the Soekris list with my results on how slow 5.3 is, phk
suggested I email rwatson.  I'm drafting an email to him right now.  We're
hoping to find a resolution, but if it doesn't exist, then it is time to
reconsider.  Remember m0n0wall is focused towards embedded hardware.  On a
fast system, the throughput drop isn't going to be nearly as noticeable
since you almost always have hardware to spare anyway.  That isn't the case
when you're talking about 100-200 MHz procs.
Hi Chris,

Soekris Net4801's are 266mhz and there are plenty of Via based options at
600mhz for <$400 so I don't see hardware requirements as being too much of a
problem. I like the fact that m0n0 is soo tiny and efficient needing hardly
any cpu power but if your requirements are 50mbs and thousands of complex
firewall rules then the chances are $400 is not going to blow the budget
because your doing enterprise level stuff. If I read what your saying
correctly you feel it would be a shame that everyone running on a Soekris at
the moment couldn't upgrade to new versions with improved feature sets
because their 100mhz cpu would not be up to the job. I agree it would be a
shame but surely it is going to happen one day.

Cheers,

Charlie