[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas T <daretospam at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs linksys with sveasoft firmware
 Date:  Thu, 5 May 2005 09:55:10 -0700
> Yeah, if you want something small, quiet, and new you're going to be
> spending a couple hundred bucks by the time you're done.  Ebay might
> yield some good deals.  Old PC's that you can frequently get for free
> (or at least I seem to be able to get almost as many as I want) would
> work just as well, but those also have moving parts, so noise and
> increased chance of failure.   Not to mention roughly 10 times the
> typical power consumption (3 W vs ~30 W from a stripped down PC in my
> testing).

Since I like to recycle, I have an old Pentium 233mhz PC stripped-down
to the motherboard wlan, lan card, IDE to flash card, no video card or
keyboard and hooked up an 80W ac-dc switching power supply with
passive cooling.  30W sounds about right for this setup, though may be
less after bootup and low CPU activity.  I was wondering if anyone has
a similar setup, how they housed all the equipment, or any
suggestions.  I pretty much unscrewed the motherboard sheetmetal mount
from the old case and the system is totally exposed.