[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Carlos_Ros=E1rio?= <carlos dot rosario at netcabo dot pt>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Wireless Access Point with M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 05 May 2005 01:15:55 +0100
In documentation Manuel Kasper says:

"If you want to be really happy with your wireless, then by all means
buy a real dedicated AP. hostap just never matches the performance
and reliability (not even under Linux) of a *good* AP, and is only
intended as a solution for people who absolutely need to do
everything on one box."

Well, i'm getting a couple of WRAP boards and Atheros CM9 mini-PCI cards to try an upgrade to
several Dlink 900Ap+ in a Wireless Community project.
Every board will have 2 CM9, one working in Access Point mode and the other one in Client Mode.

Will m0n0wall be appropriate for this?

I know that the primary goal of m0n0wall is to be a firewall appliance, but I've seen Netgate
selling kits like this, advertising:
"/Powerful 802.11a/b/g system, with excellent throughput and flexibility for best-in-class wireless
deployments", /and they ship this boxes with m0n0wall.

Do you recomend m0n0wall or some other distribution?

I've seen wifibsd, wisp-dist and a few others, but they seem to be broken or lacking support for
hardware, specially for Atheros CM9 based cards.
I try to stay away from proprietary and commercial solutions like StarOS or RouterOS.

Thanks in advance.