[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Blake <bmagic at cccwireless dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Gotta be a Solution!!!
 Date:  Mon, 09 May 2005 09:54:20 -0500
Mat Johns wrote:

> From the description you've given you dont actually need any
> firewalling to be done on the box, just act really as wireless to
> ethernet bridge.
>
> I am using a very similar operation of probably identical hardware
> (WRAP2C?) where I am creating a hostap master on one card bridging
> that with the LAN that connects to a non wireless m0n0wall that
> provides the firewalling, dhcp, captive portal etc and on the other
> card in managed mode connected to a partner ap and routed onboard.
>
> m0n0wall isnt really the best solution to what your trying to do!
> seeing that your using WRAP hardware try using m0n0bsd (another one of
> Manuel's great creations) doesnt have the same pretty gui (or in fact
> any gui :P) but if know a little about bsd you should be safe.
>
> NB: m0n0bsd is like m0n0wall proper, freebsd4 based (ie no atheros
> support)
>
> <my config script>
> ifconfig sis0 10.13.13.2/26
> sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
> sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi1,sis0"
> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
> ifconfig wi0 10.13.12.5/26 ssid sown-slashhome channel 5
> ifconfig wi1 ssid sown-cyberfish channel 1 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt
> hostap
> /usr/local/sbin/zebra -d
> /usr/local/sbin/ospfd -d
> </my config script>
>
> Hope this helps
> ~Mat Johns
> mbj202 at ecs dot soton dot ac dot uk

The unit I am using has two 5004 MP ATHEROS 4G / CM9 cards. Yes, it's a
WRAP 2C. Will MonoBSD work with this setup? If not, this sort of thing
has got to be possible with all the software out there in the world!!
More explination of what I am doing... Wireless network with 11a
backhaul. Every unit has a 11a and 11b card on a WRAP board. I want all
traffic to pass unconditionally back to the root of the internet where
my DHCP server is running and all my firewalls are already in place.

Gotta Be A Solution!!

-Blake-