[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Mee <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Carlos_Ros=E1rio?= <carlos dot rosario at netcabo dot pt>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: Wireless Access Point with M0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 09 May 2005 14:51:32 -0700
> Can you give an ideia of the troughtput of the Atheros 802.11a backhaul
> links? Around here we have been using  Dlink 900AP+ doing wireless bridge
> between nodes and we have about 1Mbyte/s on those point-to-point links in a
> standard FTP transfer. The bigger links are about 4Km. We need to upgrade
> those in order to achieve 3Mbytes/s, do you think its possible with Atheros
> 802.11a and m0n0wall?

We've tested a couple of our links up to 3-4Mbps, but honestly we
haven't really tried to establish their max throughput. We know they're
2-3x what our backhaul is (1.5Mbps) and as we only have a small http
proxy cache and hence no other real source of higher bandwidth traffic,
we haven't put any energy into further measurement.

Our 802.11a links are also all < 2km, and most are <1km.  FWIW, I recall
that once you get past 3km (?) on 802.11a you start to get protocol
timing issues. (Search for posts by jim at netgate dot com as he's posted about
this issue in various places recently - perhaps the seattlewireless
email list?). You can tweak the timing, but it takes a bit of digging
around and isn't available in vanilla m0n0wall.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

cheers, michael
www.socalfreenet.org