[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dr. Nadine Besson <nadibes at yahoo dot fr>
 To:  ian at cljlaw dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to install m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 10:17:23 +0200
Hi Ian,
as far as installation is concerned, this works out fairly easy. There is
some documation on the m0n0wall website, Did you try already this link:

http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/installation.php

The problem for novice users is when it comes to the details of the setup,
e.g. if you want to setup traffic shaping for YOUR needs - lets say for VoIP.

In this case, you will get to know a big disadvantage  of m0n0wall:

- The documentation is incomplete
- The mailing list is a pain to search on and then browse threadwise
(its a real pain to not be able to use a BB-system or a newsgroup)

- You won't find much websites about mo0n0wall and if the information is scattered
or does not deal with you subject

- The hardest thing is however, that there is no support, the mailinglist is
useless, nobody replied to my former enquiry. And this happened to many others
who asked for e.g. VOIP and TRAFFIC SHAPING (try this as word to search the
archive and you will see what I mean, if there are replies the are like, RTFM
or check the archive" or "this has been discussed intensely a few times" and
at the end you will be left alone with your problems.

My conclusion after installation and using m0n0wall and reading through the
archive for a total of 14 days:

Smashing project - but no personal support! Nobody offered me his personal help.

If you want to contact ME about installation, feel free to do so (via email please).

I have already done this step and I can share my knowledge with you.

Will see if anyone has been stimulated by this answer to help me with MY enquiry, too.

I doubt it.

Greatings from France to Kuala Lumpur!
Yours,
Nadine

--
> Hi,

> Could someone teach me how to install m0n0wall from the first step till the end? This is my first
time to expose to m0n0wall. I really would appreciate if anyone is willing to help me to set up my
m0n0wall. Thank You.