[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: commercial offerings
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 10:36:44 -0400
Dr. Nadine Besson wrote:
> I agree. I would be willing to pay(pal) some money if someone would help
> me exactly with what I am looking for.
>
> Getting no support or RTFM! replies from "senior master teachers" in the
> mailinglist (which are both useless) is time consuming and can be quite
> frustrating.

I agree, but it is not a reason for sending out your frustration on the
list.  Monowall allows you to build a 1000$+ firewall for 0$.  The only
thing you can expect is to put some effort and time to adapt it to your
situation.

BTW, before going with m0n0wall, I tested 2 commercial firewall
appliances and I returned them because I could not the support I needed.
  I lost a lot more time testing and troubleshooting those units than
m0n0wall.

> In my (former) case (see my yesterdays email) I need a simple email with a
> few sentences that explains me which Pipes,Queues and Rules I have to set
> to shape my personal traffic profile.
> This takes 10 minutes for someone who knows what to do, but i can takes
> ages for someone who is not keen on this m0n0wall project.

Maybe you should try another source of information?  Not that many
people using m0n0wall actually do traffic shaping. m0n0wall is, at
first, a firewall and not primarily a traffic-shaper.  As someone else
said, the shaper is not specific to m0n0wall and it is probably possible
to get info elsewhere.  I'm in exactly the same situation as you and I'm
checking the mailing list often to see if there is an answer.  If I get
some time, I will do some testing and try to find out.  I'll let you
know if I find something.  Although I'd appreciate a pre-cooked answer,
I'm glad when I do some research on my own.  This doesn't only give me
the  answer, but the understanding, so that I can know what to do in a
different situation, or even help others with it.

> If its not possible what I want to do, someone could also let me know.
> Then I do not need to spent for further time on it.

I think it is possible to do.  It's just that no one on the list could
answer you, for different reasons.  Be patient, stay calm, keep feeling
out of your text, show you're doing efforts are desired behaviour in
this environment.

Hope this helps.

Ugo