[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Martin" <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP Help
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 14:39:32 -0400
We put in the m0n0wall to replace a WG Firebox III that's life came to
an end.  It went in almost 100% transparent to the field however there
are a few quarks.  The users connect with Windows built in PPTP client
to the MW (running on a Soekris box) that authenticates against the DC's
Radius server.  The users get in fine, their mobile databases are
syncing and their email works.

My problem is even though they can function on the network I can't seem
to figure out why I can't ping their assigned IP.  They can ping anyone
inside the network though.

Ex:

They PPTP in, get an IP of 192.168.2.125

They can ping anyone on the 192.168.2.X subnet (with firewalls disabled)

However from inside the building I cannot ping them back at
192.168.2.125 I get a request timeout.

This causes problem because developers are complaining because their SQL
Manager wont connect to the office DB's

Also I cannot use VNC to connect into the mobile laptops to fix their
problems (Nor RDP or anything else)

Is it possible that the PPTP server address being diff from the MW's IP
address is causing gateway conflicts?  Also we don't use the DHCP server
on the MW its managed by the DC.

My second question (not as much a problem):  Is there any way to see a
list of authenticated PPTP Users that are actively connected?

Seth Martin - IT Department
Office Network Administrator

Office: (239) 549-7500 | Cell: (239) 699-4743
Turbine Generator Maintenance
Gas Turbine Maintenance
4635 Coronado Parkway, Suite 7
Cape Coral, FL 33904