[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dr. Nadine Besson <nadibes at yahoo dot fr>
 To:  m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] commercial offerings
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 21:50:51 +0200
Hi Chris,

>> Getting no support or RTFM! replies from "senior master
>> teachers" in the mailinglist (which are both useless) is time
>> consuming and can be quite frustrating.

> Thing is, most people on the list have to make a living. For the majority
> I'd say that's probably with full-time paying jobs, which means time
> available for answering questions on the mailing list is limited.

I know that. Thats why I have first looked through the manual (nothing
in there about traffic shaping), the mailinglist archive (lots of similar
questions, no useful replies), visited various websites. I could not find
a solution. That why I tried the mailing list.

> Then there's the time difference issue. I'm in the UK. By the look of your email
> address you're in France? Mailing list members are scattered across the
> world in all manner of different time zones. That means replying to a post
> as quickly as you'd like isn't always going to happen.

Right, I am in France. The traffic shaping feature is one of the most
important features of m0n0wall, but its hard to find good information
on that.

> When a service (the mailing list) is provided free of charge, one does not
> have the right to *expect* a reply. When people reply to one's posts it
> should be considered a blessing.

I was not blessed, however. Many others with a similar questions were not either.

>> In my (former) case (see my yesterdays email) I need a simple
>> email with a few sentences that explains me which
>> Pipes,Queues and Rules I have to set to shape my personal
>> traffic profile.

> Unfortunately it's quite a complex subject and depends heavily on your exact
> requirements.

I know thats not easy. Thats why I have asked. I could solve easier things
myself already. I have stated my exact requirements in my previous posting.

> I've found the best approach is to give the wizard a go, then
> modify what it comes out with. It really is a question of trial and error.

I try and fail since about 14 days. The wizard is useless since I want to
reserve a CERTAIN bandwidth in upload AND download direction to certain
IPs. This should apply to ALL traffic / protocols for a given IP address.
Please refer to my posting "Help with traffic shaping needed" if you (or
anyone else) wants to help me by discussing this subject.

I really would appreciate any useful help. Again please reply to the
mail "Help with traffic shaping needed" - not in this thread for further
help.

Thanks again!
Greetings from France,
Nadine