[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Cream <lists at donut dot dk>
 To:  "Dr. Nadine Besson" <nadibes at yahoo dot fr>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Help with traffic shaping needed
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 23:15:28 +0200
Dr. Nadine Besson wrote:
> I try and fail since about 14 days. The wizard is useless since I want to
> reserve a CERTAIN bandwidth in upload AND download direction to certain
> IPs. This should apply to ALL traffic / protocols for a given IP address.
> Please refer to my posting "Help with traffic shaping needed" if you (or
> anyone else) wants to help me by discussing this subject.

What you are trying to do is fairly easy (i've tried mailing you a link
to my "m0n0wall Traffic Shaping Introduction" off list, but doesnt seem
like you got it.. its here: http://www.stovring.net/stuff/IPwall_1eng.ppt )

1. run the wizard to set up your traffic shaping in general

2. create a PIPE with the amount of bandwidth you wish to dedicate,
remember to subtract it from your bandwidth used elsewhere. And Mask:
destination, you can call it something like "100kb reserved DL".

3. (optional) create a QUEUE with mask "destination", and choose the
PIPE you created in step 2 (you can call it "100kb reserved DL" again).
(QUEUES can do weighting, which is the real power behind traffic
shaping, but it doesnt seem to matter in what you are trying to accomplish)

4. create a RULE, and point it to:
- Target: either the PIPE from step 2 or the QUEUE from step 3
- Interface: WAN
- Protocol: any
- Destination: "single host or alias" and enter the ip you want to
reserve BW for
- Direction: in

5. now move your newly created rule to the top of the rules list.

now you have a reserved bandwidth for downloading, you can repeat the
steps for reserving upload, just remember to change the interface to
LAN, direction out, and use source address instead of destination.

Hope it clears things up, else feel free to ask.

Kris