[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Cream'" <lists at donut dot dk>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Help with traffic shaping needed
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 22:21:11 +0100
> now you have a reserved bandwidth for downloading, you can
> repeat the steps for reserving upload, just remember to
> change the interface to LAN, direction out, and use source
> address instead of destination.

This is fine for dedicating a certain amount of bandwidth for a specific
purpose (e.g. VoIP). The downside to it is that bandwidth is unavailable for
any other purpose, even if there's no VoIP traffic being used. In countries
where DSL services only provided a fairly limited upstream bandwidth (nearly
every UK ADSL offering is 256kbps upstream, for example), setting aside
100kbps from that is quite a significant hit.

From what I remember from posts on similar topics a few months ago (and
people please correct me if I'm wrong), it's only newer versions of the
packet filter being used for traffic shaping (ipfw?) that allow this
"borrowing" of bandwidth between pipes when necessary. I don't know what the
technical implications of introducing a new packet filter for traffic
shaping would be for m0n0wall, or whether it's even feasible while sticking
with FBSD 4...

FWIW, if you're only likely to be running one voice call and your service
provider supports GSM, you should be able to get away with only dedicating
about 35kbps to that pipe, which means the hit won't be quite so serious.

Regards,

Chris