[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Hanulec <hanulec at hanulec dot com>
 To:  "Dr. Nadine Besson" <nadibes at yahoo dot fr>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] commercial offerings
 Date:  Tue, 17 May 2005 00:53:16 -0400 (EDT)
Nadine..

while m0n0wall is a really great overall firewall package i think this
problem might be bested solved by using PF and ALTQ from OpenBSD

>> I've found the best approach is to give the wizard a go, then
>> modify what it comes out with. It really is a question of trial and error.
>
> I try and fail since about 14 days. The wizard is useless since I want to
> reserve a CERTAIN bandwidth in upload AND download direction to certain
> IPs. This should apply to ALL traffic / protocols for a given IP address.
> Please refer to my posting "Help with traffic shaping needed" if you (or
> anyone else) wants to help me by discussing this subject.
>
> I really would appreciate any useful help. Again please reply to the
> mail "Help with traffic shaping needed" - not in this thread for further
> help.

- openbsd's pf doc
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html

- a little old.. but the concepts apply to the latest version of PF
http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/software/TIPS.txt

- Prioritizing empty TCP ACKs with pf and ALTQ
http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html

- Firewalling with OpenBSD's PF packet filter
http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/altqbypct.html
http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/altqackpri.html
http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/altqsmtp.html

besides the docs above, my other PF links
<http://del.icio.us/hanulec/os:bsd:openbsd:pf>, and the mailing list
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-pf&r=1&w=2>, you might find one
of the consultants listed on NYCBug's Resource Database useful in solving
this problem:

http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=BSDTracker

-Mike
--
hanulec at hanulec dot com		cell: 858.518.2647 && 516.410.4478
http://www.hanulec.com                EFnet irc && aol im: hanulec