[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Wang <jim dot wang at troposnetworks dot com>
 To:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Max number of reported users on a m0n0.
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 22:59:07 -0700
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the very detailed response.  Your answer is very similar to
my response when customers asking how many simultaneous clients can
connect to an individual Tropos AP :-)  At any rate, I really love the
m0n0wall and like recommending it to my customers because it really
works.  The problem is that our customers especially the bigger
deployments don't have the expertise to run their own RADIUS servers and
to support their own authentication and billing.  They would rather have
outfits like Airpath and Pronto manage all that for them.  So as I'm
recommending a m0n0wall I'd like to make sure that at a minimum it's
able to perform the 802.1x authentication with these companies.

Incidently, we will be testing authentication/billing of a wireless
client on a m0n0wall with Airpath tomorrow for a new upcoming customer.
I'll keep you informed of our progress.

Other useful features that we're seeing customers do with their service
gateways is allocating public IP address to their wireless clients when
the infrastructure would be on a private network.  Here's a brief
network diagram of such a setup.

wireless client - - - wireless infrastructure ---- service
gateway/captive portal ---- internet
 public ip                        private ip         private
                                           public ip

Although I haven't tested this on a m0n0wall yet, I think in theory it
should work.  My only concern is the DHCP server on the m0n0wall.  I
don't believe the dhcp server on the m0n0 can assign a network range
that is differerent than the dhcp servers interface ip address.  Any
thoughts on supporting this dhcp server shared-network concept.

Thanks in advance,

Jim.