[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Jim Wang <jim dot wang at troposnetworks dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Max number of reported users on a m0n0.
 Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 22:21:36 -1000
On May 16, 2005, at 7:59 PM, Jim Wang wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the very detailed response.  Your answer is very similar to
> my response when customers asking how many simultaneous clients can
> connect to an individual Tropos AP :-)

In deference to the list, I didn't even start on the whys and wheres of
wireless performance.   Aren't the Tropos APs still based on a prism2.5
design running TBRPF(*) on top of FreeBSD?  If so, the firmware (or
driver) largely dictates the number of 'simultaneous clients'

(*) it seems that lately both Tropos and Firetide have decided that
TBRPF wasn't all it could have been.

> At any rate, I really love the m0n0wall and like recommending it to my
> customers because it really works.  The problem is that our customers
> especially the bigger deployments don't have the expertise to run
> their own RADIUS servers and to support their own authentication and
> billing.  They would rather have outfits like Airpath and Pronto
> manage all that for them.  So as I'm recommending a m0n0wall I'd like
> to make sure that at a minimum it's able to perform the 802.1x
> authentication with these companies.

1) There is no 802.1x in m0n0wall right now, but I've put it in a
custom CF image based on 6.0 (-CURRENT, with OLSR, but I only mention
this because you'll get a kick out of it), and I'm looking at pfSense.

2) I'm not sure where you want the 802.1x authenticator to run.  If
m0n0wall (or pfSense, or ...) is to be the AP, then its fairly
straight-forward, else, its difficult to impossible.   Perhaps you were
talking about
having m0n0wall act as the RADIUS server in this case.  I can't tell.

> Incidently, we will be testing authentication/billing of a wireless
> client on a m0n0wall with Airpath tomorrow for a new upcoming
> customer.  I'll keep you informed of our progress.
>
> Other useful features that we're seeing customers do with their
> service gateways is allocating public IP address to their wireless
> clients when the infrastructure would be on a private network.  Here's
> a brief network diagram of such a setup.
>
> wireless client - - - wireless infrastructure ---- service
> gateway/captive portal ---- internet
> public ip                        private ip         private
>                                public ip
>
> Although I haven't tested this on a m0n0wall yet, I think in theory it
> should work.  My only concern is the DHCP server on the m0n0wall.  I
> don't believe the dhcp server on the m0n0 can assign a network range
> that is differerent than the dhcp servers interface ip address.  Any
> thoughts on supporting this dhcp server shared-network concept.

You don't show which piece(s) of the diagram are m0n0wall-based.
Assuming is the piece that looks like:

>  - wireless infrastructure --
>       private ip         private

There is a small problem, the "wireless client" (with a public IP) will
need a default route which
is reachable on the "LAN" (wireless, presumably), and thus, the " -
wireless infrastructure --" device
will need to provide same.

There are a number of ways I can see making this work, but its not
clear from your diagram what you're looking for, so I'm hesitant to
offer advice.

jim