[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN ?
 Date:  Sat, 14 May 2005 13:13:00 +0200
VLAN (802.1q) allows you to create virtual interfaces.
A physical-ethernet can be split in several virtual-ethernet.
A switch connected to this physical port will allow you to access the virtual interfaces.
Of course you need 802.1q compatible equipment to be able to use this function.

As example:
I have a WRAP with 3 FastEthernet: WAN, LAN and a 802.1q trunk.
The m0n0wall is configured with 3 VLANs (DMZ, EDMZ, SDMZ) on the trunk port.
The trunk is connected to a Cisco 2950 switch.
This 3 segments althogh are connected to the same switch are separated from each other and can only
communicate through the m0n0wall.

Basically you expand the possibilities of you m0n0wall box without adding hardware (beside the
switch).

Daniele