[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Help with traffic shaping needed
 Date:  Tue, 17 May 2005 17:04:24 -0600
Chris Bagnall wrote:

>>You're completely wrong.
>>

>That's good to know. :-)
>

>>FreeBSD's dummynet queues use
>>weighted fair queueing, and the weights only apply when the
>>queues are full.  Any service can use 100% of the bandwidth
>>when there is no contention.
>>

>Can some kind soul explain why even when I have queues defined as follows:
>High Priority	weight: 80
>Regular		weight: 19
>Bulk		weight: 1
>
>BitTorrent transfers (which end up in the "bulk" queue) still end up
>destroying any hope of an audible VoIP call?

Two thoughts:

1) Are you sure that your pipes are correct?  If you try to overallocate
either pipe (especially the upsteam, but downstream too), you'll end up
with an almost unusable connection.  Make sure you don't exceed 90% of
your actual maximum.

2) How sure aure you that your BT traffic is getting into the "Bulk"
queue?  How do you define the difference between Regular and Bulk?

--
I should have gotten off in crackton
 -- Lisa