[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sleet71 dash m0n0wall at yahoo dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic shaper kills upload speed
 Date:  Tue, 17 May 2005 21:15:32 -0500
Just did a new setup. The Traffic Shaper was just what I was looking for.
But then I ran some tests, and found that my upload speed had been reduced
dramatically. Prior to m0n0wall I was seeing 1200 down, 400 up.
With m0n0wall I'm now seeing 50 kbit up. Figured it had to be a bad NIC
or patch cable. Swapped all those, but no luck. So then I turn off the
Traffic Shaper, and I'm right back to 400 kbit up.

My hardware is an old Pentium II @ 266 Mhz, 128MB RAM.
I used the traffic wizard, and it seemed to generate rules for a lot of
P2P programs I don't use. So I removed most (except eDonkey & Gnutella)
and left all the non-P2P stuff thinking there were too many rules.
Re-ran speed test, and nothing changed.

Is my hardware insufficient here, or what's the trick to using
traffic shaper without it eating 90% of your upstream bandwidth?