[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marco Fandel <fandelmarco at yahoo dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re2: [m0n0wall] Problem with newer beta version
 Date:  Wed, 18 May 2005 18:11:14 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

I checked a few things... first alan pointed out that since 1.2b5+ it's FreeBSD 5, needing at least
128Mb, well I am already at that amount, tried then to double it to 256, no change... and on Chris's
image, it is even at 64...? So no change here...

Then I tried Chris's image, the 1.2b7 CD version, no change either...? Maybe you did some
configuration in the (virtual) Bios? Asking this, because he tells me that that BIOS is not
compatible with my VMWorkstation (really don't know why!) Well, all I changed there, was simply
adjust the bootorder to take CD first...

But as I said, no change... So here again what it does, in detail ;-)

In fact it does boot, but it takes an awfully long time...

using Chris's CD for the test, but didn't chrono these times

10-20s at the /kernel text=... msg

40-80s at the Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle

120s-150s at Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0

then running straight through to the standard console setup screen...

At that point it is fully accessible, functional and browsable from the browser, but any soon as I
do any change (and hit save) it takes again awfully long, so long that the browser times out. If I
check it thereafter (after lunch or whatever) the changes are in fact stored and all fine but it
that isn't workable... I remind the fact that any version before 1.2b5 didn't have that issue...

So, what I wonder, is why that happens, both on ESX and on 2 distinct installations of VMWare
Workstation (4.5.2 build-8848)?

Upgraded ESX today to 2.5.01, so I will test it there too...

Thanks so far

Fandel Marco

> Hello,

> I'm new to this mailing list, so Hi all :-)

> I set up m0n0wall 1.11 on an old PIII 350Mhz, 128Mb, won't boot from CD but does fine from HD. As
I found several problems I now try the betas, but these in VMware (ESX 2.1.1 and Workstation 4.5) No
problems with the stable version, but when I try the beta versions, they are slow, sometimes
booting, sometimes not... This is true for CD and HD version, and the problem occures for the
version 1.2b5 and up. So version 1.2b3 is still fine. Could anyone point out what the difference is
between these two that won't allow to run it in VMware? Or will that problem affect the physical
machine too? (It's quite a pain to install it on that machine, involves ripping out the disk, taking
to friend, installing... you get the picture...)

They all work fine for me, and I do extensive testing in VMware with

all versions.  Maybe you'd have more luck with my pre-configured VM

images.  http://chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=18

-Chris

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher