[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Monowall, traffic during authentication in clear ? ; IPSEC and PPTP section ?
 Date:  Wed, 18 May 2005 21:25:54 -0400
Nans Delrieu wrote:
> 1.  Take the situation where monowall is behind an access point.  And
> monowall is configured to do captive portal.
> There is no  way to protect the first communication between a client and
> the gateway ?? (login and password is always clear in an http request)

You mean a connexion to the captive portal or the admin page?  You can
make the web admin interface use https.

It doesn't look like the captive portal can.  You can use MAC or IP
addresses for authentication.

You could probably use a vpn to secure your connexion to the secure
portal, or use encryption on your access point.  But I don't have such a
setup so I might not be 100% accurate.

> pptp section , can you give me details about that ? (roaming clients)
> idem for IPSEC, where is the goal ?

Example of what I'm doing with pptp: I and a few collegues can connect
via VPN and have access to our files, exchange (eeesh) server, etc. No
matter where we are.

> If i configure PPTP, a client with windows xp can access to internet
> trhough this gateway ?

If you set the firewall rules accordingly, it should, yes.

> Monowall act as a PPTP server ? nothing else and client with windows XP
> worls ??

Should work, yes.

hth.

Please don't send the reply to my e-mail as well, I don't need 2 messages.

Regards,

Ugo