[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Vonage recommendations
 Date:  Thu, 19 May 2005 09:33:47 -0400
Don Munyak wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just purchased a subscription with Vonage VoIP. I have m0n0wall
> 1.2b7 running at home. Since I have not yet worked with VoIP or
> traffic shaping, I am looking for some advice or recommendations.
>
> Like I said I am running 1.2b7 but I have no objections to
downgrading
> if recommended.
> As for traffic shaping...does anyone have a "how-to" or a good read
?
> And/Or any personal experiences you might like to share to lessen
the
> bumps in the road.

I use Vonage (CiscoATA 186) with my 1.11. Initially I did nothing in
the config of my m0n0wall and everything was fine. I read that shaping
could help with call quality, so I tried it. It did *NOT* work, it
made the call quality worse, to the point that people could not
understand me and I could not understand them (cut in and out like a
real bad cell call). I took the shaping out and everything is fine.

This is a good reference for shaping:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=35&actionargs[]
=88 (Note: the link may break when the list server wraps the line...
It was broken in the "Help with traffic shaping needed" thread)

Your mileage may very with the Motorola or Linksys ATAs. I think I
read that these ATAs prefer to be outside of a firewall (thus reducing
Vonage's need to help people configure a router/firewall to allow
VoIP). The Cisco 186 is supposed to be behind a router/firewall -
IIRC, Vonage would give you a NetGear (or sell you one cheap) if you
needed it when I got my service back in June 03...

Hope this helps...

James W. McKeand