[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ditching Cisco - Is m0n0wall router/firewall combo good for production use?
 Date:  Mon, 23 May 2005 23:43:03 -0400
On 5/23/05, Adam Lawson <alawson at calhost dot com> wrote:
> I have a Cisco router and a broken PIX firewall.
>
> Tell me- if I use VLAN's and need firewalling, would a m0n0wall
> router/firewall combo deal be possible? I need 802.11q support and the
> ability to route single IPs on other segments to VLAN's (I do this now via
> IP route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x sub.net.ma.sk vlanID and it works great NOW. But I
> don't have firewall protection which is, well, very very bad. I would
> continue using Cisco but I realized what a gigabit card/port would cost and
> about gagged.
>
> Is this possible (VLAN's on m0-m0wall)? How does it perform for those of you
> who use VLAN's? If experiences are good, I may end up giving this a trial
> run. Thanks for your input!

You can set it up as a router on a stick (in Cisco speak).  To max out
a gig E interface, you'd need a high end P4 box, but that pales in
price to a Cisco that'll do gig E wire speed.

I haven't extensively tested the VLAN functionality, but it should
meet your needs.  I'd definitely give it a shot.

-Chris