[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Vonage recommendations
 Date:  Wed, 25 May 2005 19:43:58 -0400
On 5/25/05, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:
> Dave Warren wrote:
> > Christian Oswald wrote:
> >
> >> Only problem is that monowall does not support TFTP through NAT
> >> (unless it's 1:1). You'll find it hard getting tftp updates. I'm
> >> still trying to find somebody to make that fix to monowall (NATD
> >> maybe or something). Like I said, I'm willing to pay someone for
> the
> >> fix.
> >>

> > I can't confirm this here -- Vonage devices configure themselves
> using
> > TFTP, both my Vonage ATAs have been able to download updates from
> > behind my m0n0wall box.
> >
> > I can confirm this because I have added an additional line to two of
> > my Vonage boxes and in both cases, rebooting the ATA was enough to
> > let the ATA download the latest configuration file.
>
> I believe that the ATA will connect to Vonage (or insert VoIP provider
> here) just like any other LAN client could with a tftp client. If
> Vonage is trying to "Push" an update down to the ATA it will not work.
> But the ATA "Pulling" the update from Vonage (thru m0n0wall) would
> seem to work fine.

TFTP supposedly doesn't work through NAT at all, so it's interesting
that it supposedly works for some people.  Fred Wright posted
something about this a few months ago.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=136&actionargs[]=20

another site documenting the same, in broken English.
http://www.tftp-server.com/tftp_server_faq.html

though supposedly there are some TFTP servers that can get around
this, like http://freshmeat.net/projects/jtftp/?topic_id=3D87
found here http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-January/033557.html

-Chris