[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hernan_Gonz=E1lez_-_Wizardes=2Ecom_?= <hard dot wizard at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: FW: [m0n0wall] Browse neighbourghood
 Date:  Thu, 26 May 2005 10:00:29 -0300
Thanks a lot guys, you are very kind answering so quick. good to build a
"community" like this.
does this also apply for the AP ?? I mean if I do a VLAN preventing user not
to see each other thorugh the switch , the ones connected to the AP will not
see each other as well??
One more , one FreeBSD I am running a Squid Proxy Web Cache, would they be
able to cache their pages even when they are in the VLAN? Thans again ...

 2005/5/26, Dennis Hoshield <dhosh at gaslightmedia dot com>:

> Hi, Hernan ...
>
> If the PC's are all connected together via a switch, then m0n0wall is kind
> of out of the picture as far as PC's seeing each other (or not). You would
> need to replace your switch with a managed switch, capable of at least
> port
> based VLANS. This effectively puts each port on an isolated segment. They
> can still see 'out' (to the m0n0wall), but can no longer see each other.
> If
> you do end up having a few that need to see each other in the future, you
> could put them on the same VLAN at the time. Easy to configure ..
> especially the port based VLANS. We've used a (relatively) inexpensive
> D-Link DES3226L for this. I think they were around $300.
>
> As it looks like you are laid out now, the 'view-ability' is inherent in
> the
> switch, before the packets reach the m0n0wall, so anything you do there
> would have no effect.
>
> Good luck,
> Dennis

Tel/Fax : +54-11-4711-9146