[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Ugo Bellavance'" <ugob at camo dash route dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Server Load Balancing/failover with m0n0
 Date:  Fri, 27 May 2005 02:23:28 +0100
> >>	I'd like to do simple failover (optionnaly
> >>load-balancing) with 2 web servers in my DMZ behing m0n0wall.
> >> Is there a way m0n0 can help me with that?  I looked at
> pen, VRRPD,
> >>heartbeat, but I though I'd make sure my current equipement
> can't help
> >>me.

> The fact is that I want to have no single point of failure.

Is there a particularly compelling reason to have the webservers behind a
single m0n0wall? I'm thinking that with 2 WAN connections and 2 m0n0wall
boxes you'd have 2 public IPs. You could then route those through to your
webservers on your network and use one of the many DNS services out there to
load balance between them. It won't be perfect since once a DNS query by a
client has been cached there'll be a TTL on it, but if you set your DNS with
a short TTL, you should at least minimize downtime as much as possible.

I don't know if it's just the nature of bandwidth distribution in the UK
(our ADSL lines have pathetic upstream pipes), but given that you can get
good quality hosting in a dedicated datacentre for sub-$50/month, I nearly
always recommend clients don't run their own webservers from their premises
unless there's a very compelling reason to do so.

Regards,

Chris