[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Server Load Balancing/failover with m0n0
 Date:  Thu, 26 May 2005 22:47:18 -0400
Chris Bagnall wrote:

>>pen, VRRPD,

>>can't help

>>The fact is that I want to have no single point of failure.
>

> Is there a particularly compelling reason to have the webservers behind a
> single m0n0wall? I'm thinking that with 2 WAN connections and 2 m0n0wall
> boxes you'd have 2 public IPs. You could then route those through to your
> webservers on your network and use one of the many DNS services out there to
> load balance between them. It won't be perfect since once a DNS query by a
> client has been cached there'll be a TTL on it, but if you set your DNS with
> a short TTL, you should at least minimize downtime as much as possible.

That is an idea, but internet by cable is now available here and I'm
very far from the CO, so with DSL the best I can get is 128K upload.
Not enough for a web server.  My current internet connexion is a Fiber
optics that costs a lot, and we can't really afford 2 like that.

> I don't know if it's just the nature of bandwidth distribution in the UK
> (our ADSL lines have pathetic upstream pipes), but given that you can get
> good quality hosting in a dedicated datacentre for sub-$50/month, I nearly
> always recommend clients don't run their own webservers from their premises
> unless there's a very compelling reason to do so.

I'm in canada... I told my boss it would be better to go with a
colocation, or a dedicated hosted server but he wants to keep the
servers in the office.  I can't really complain cause I probably
wouldn't have a job otherwise.

> Regards,
>
> Chris

Thanks for your advise,