[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Craig Williams <sleet71 dash m0n0wall at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall worked with SBC DSL, doesn't with Comcast Cable
 Date:  Thu, 26 May 2005 20:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
Wow Jim, I'm aware of all that. The "big-I-Internet" huh?
MAC address has been cloned (stated earlier)

m0n0wall WAN: 67.184.149.158/21
m0n0wall LAN: 192.168.1.254/24

Cable modem: not sure - does it even get an address? SB5100 has a status page at 192.168.100.1, but
I'm not able to browse that when it is on the outside edge of the m0n0wall.
Browsing the cable modem (without m0n0wall) never indicates it has an IP. Just signal strength & MAC
addresses are listed. Strange that I can browse it when it is on the outside edge of the DLink.
Thought I may need to setup a static route to it, but then the IP assigned to the WAN interface is
DHCP, so I can't create a route to it.

I use the LAN IP of the m0n0wall for default gateway (on the PC). It is after all the router to get
off the LAN. Default gateway the m0n0wall receives from Comcast: 67.184.144.1

Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com> wrote:

Until m0n0 can ping hosts on the big-I-Internet, you'll have no luck
getting out from 'behind' the NAT
in m0n0wall.

What IP address/netmask does m0n0wall get via DHCP?

What is the IP address/mask of your LAN (or OPTn) interface?

What is the IP address/mask of your cable modem? (Does this match
your default route?)

You might need to clone the MAC address of your notebook on the WAN
interface.

jim